Friday, February 22, 2013

Magical Mommy


This last week both the boys got sick, Benjamin just in time for his 2nd birthday on Valentine's Day, and Peter immediately after I arrived in Fort Worth, TX to visit my family. We are used to Benjamin having lots of wheezing and coughing when he gets a respiratory bug- he's had the problem since he was 6 months old and we suspect asthma. We have the tools to help him (folks with this issue will recognize the word nebulizer). I was surprised, however, to hear Peter wheezing. And concerned. I was advised not to give him a breathing treatment and didn't. We took him to the doctor the day after I drove  home by myself with two babies on a 9 hour trip. We made one long stop. That's right. My kids are rock stars, and I am the lead singer. We are road warriors of a variety never before seen in Americana. I waddled my happy ass into that McDonald's bathroom with Peter strapped to my front and Benjamin trailing by my hand. I can pee with a baby strapped to me while preventing a toddler from touching all the disgusto things. (Benjamin, don't touch that! Benjamin, wanna sing Itsy Bitsy Spider? Benjamin DO YOU WANT MOMMY TO SPANK YOU DON'T TOUCH THAT). The trick is actually a skirt and no underwear. In case you're ever in that situation and you need to know.

I had no way of knowing during this trip that Peter was actually suffering from RSV. The test came back from the doctor yesterday. The dreaded, the mythic, the very serious respiratory illness that actually causes the death of 1 to 2% of children hospitalized, around 125,000 a year. To keep this post from getting too heavy, Petey is fine and has actually handled the illness pretty well. He's still coughing a bit, and clearly doesn't feel well, but he slept a lot better last night, so that's something. Benjamin is completely recovered. Do you know who else has handled it well? Me! That's right, I've had two kids with RSV over the last 10 days, and not only did I not lose my shit completely and join the circus or loony bin or circus, I went on a road trip without my husband and only had one meltdown, and not until I got home. I powered through. I haven't slept for two weeks, I am facing weeks more of the flu/RSV/cold season, and not only did I get through it and the boys are still in one piece, I am still in one piece. And I lost three more pounds despite 10pm brownie batter goodness with my sister and good friend AM. That's the magic of Weight Watchers, and that's the magic of me. BAM. I am awesome.
And if Benjamin is going to have waffles again for dinner tonight? At least he gets dinner. We'll try for veggies again tomorrow.
Riding his new Thomas from his Aunty and Uncle- it was so awesome on my parents' hard wood floors. Our carpet? Not so much. 

Sweet sleepy face. 

No comments: